A.I.R. Europe, Applied Research in the Behavioral Sciences gGmbH, is an independent not-for-profit, newly founded, registered non-governmental agency based in Berlin, Germany. It is a full subsidiary of the American Institutes for Research (AIR), founded over 70 years ago. AIR is one of the world’s leading and largest not-for-profit global organizations based in Washington D.C. AIR and its subsidiary in Germany share the mission of conducting and applying the best behavioral and social science research to improve lives, especially those in disadvantaged conditions.
Over many years, AIR has carried out projects in approximately 80 countries, in areas such as early learning and primary education, girls’ education, refugees and migrants, violence prevention/gender-based violence, HIV AIDS, agriculture, nutrition, water and sanitation.
A.I.R. Europe has been founded to serve donors in Europe and achieve their goals worldwide. A.I.R. Europe is pursuing an ambitious strategy focused on the above issues, but especially refugee and migrants, livelihoods/workforce development, violence prevention, and social impact bonds. A.I.R. Europe is pursuing work outside of Europe, inside Europe and in Germany. In addition to staff in Europe and partner countries, A.I.R. Europe will draw on talents of staff at AIR’s headquarters for thought leadership and the evidence base, skills in research and evaluation, and capacity building through training, technical assistance and resource development.
The Deputy Director, working closely with the Director, A.I.R. Europe, will expand A.I.R. Europe’s visibility, support networking, and help plan and execute the overall strategy for developing new business. This is an exciting opportunity to engage with A.I.R. Europe at its earliest stage and create a dynamic new presence and base for serving the needs and challenges of European donors around the world.
The primary role of this position is to work side-by-side with the Director, A.I.R. Europe to develop and implement a new business strategy, understand the landscape and needs/interests of donors, visit donors, engage relevant, value-add partners/consultants with A.I.R. Europe in work to be carried out in Africa, Asia, and Central America, and prepare dynamic and cost-effective proposals.
The Deputy Director will spend half of their time managing or working on projects by the end of their first year. Additional responsibilities will be to:
• Conduct market scan and analysis to identify donor needs and opportunities
• Network with potential clients/donors
• Identify and meet with relevant partners and consultants
• Visit countries where work will be conducted to engage in-country organizations as partners for longer-term capacity building and sustainability
• Prepare compelling and cost-effective proposals to help win new contracts and grants
• Comply with European laws and regulations
• Oversee subcontractors
• Provide management of A.I.R. Europe staff and office as projects grow
• Work with AIR headquarter staff on research and evaluation methods and capacity building strategies
• 8 - 10 years of experience as an international development professional
• Proven results with European/German donors to gain support for significant projects in low- and middle-income countries for issues such as refugees and migrants, violence prevention, social impact bonds, education and health
• Existing networks with relevant donors in A.I.R. Europe’s areas of interest
• Adept at interacting and working with German/European donors
• Ability to network and serve as a presence to engage clients, partners, and other experts in the field
• Strong written and oral communication skills, especially to conceptualize and write proposals, make presentations to donors and the field, and willingness and ability to work in an intercultural environment
• Knowledge and experience operating under German regulations for NGOs in Germany and Europe
• Experience leading/managing projects in low- income countries is preferred
• Language skills: German and English (fluent), French (proficiency preferred)