Join the German Wellcome Office as Policy Lead in an International Organisation and Help Great Ideas to Thrive.
Germany Policy Lead, Berlin/Germany
The Wellcome Trust, a global foundation that aims to improve health for everyone, has chosen Berlin as the location of its first office outside of the UK. Germany is increasingly playing a leading role in global health and Berlin is a major international centre for science, innovation and culture. The new office aims to strengthen Wellcome’s international presence and expand partnership opportunities with a broad range of European organisations in order to drive shared priorities in global health.
Wellcome is currently seekingan experienced Policy Lead for our Germany Office (Berlin based) for a 2.5 year period, with a potential to be extended beyond this.
This is an exciting opportunity for an engaging Policy Lead who will be responsible for developing and implementing a new strategy, as well as setting up the new office in Berlin and establishing the Wellcome Germany team. If the following objectives sound of interest to you, we are keen to hear from you.
- Extend Wellcome’s network
- Engage with key stakeholders
- Harness the breadth of Wellcome’s work and, with colleagues from across Wellcome, identify opportunities to form partnerships with key German actors in order to progress Wellcome’s key priorities
- Inform the final recommendations to Wellcome’s Executive Team and Governors as to a long-term future strategy for the Germany office
In order to fulfil your mission to establish Wellcome in Germany, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Set up and lead our new German Office, heading up a small policy team and be Wellcome’s leading representative in country
- Develop and implement a strategy to support the achievement of key objectives of Wellcome’s Priority Areas and influence key German actors on global health issues
- Collaborate with partners in exploring opportunities to create a Global Health Hub in Berlin
- Build Wellcome’s profile with German media and key influencers ensuring maximum impact
- Build and maintain relationships with Senior figures within the German Government, Academic institutions and civil society alongside other relevant German actors on key topics for Wellcome
- Facilitating wider Wellcome engagement on issues and with partners in Germany
- Develop and subsequently deliver an external communication and network development strategy between Wellcome’s Germany office and key stakeholders, that maximizes the impact of Wellcome’s interactions
- Improve Wellcome’s understanding of the German research environment, culture and funding landscape
- Provide expert, strategic advice to Wellcome’s Senior Leadership on policy and advocacy matters relating to Germany
- Provide insight to inform Wellcome’s post-Brexit planning
- Fluent in both German and English (written and verbal)
- Knowledge and experience of working in a German based organization with multisector stakeholders
- Experience of working in either global health, research and development for health, or similar
- Hold established networks across German government or global health actors
- Experience of successfully building, leading and developing a small team
- Able to deliver high quality policy documents
- Bachelors Degree or similar qualifications
- Excellent communicator with strong and well developed influencing skills
- Adept at strategic planning and project implementation with strong numeracy and budget management skills
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Comfortable working autonomously and collaboratively with a strong team ethic
- Willing and able to undertake international travel, including undertaking an initial induction period in the UK
What we offer
We believe great ideas can change the world and improve health for everyone. At Wellcome, we help great ideas to thrive by supporting scientists and researchers, taking on big problems, fueling imaginations and sparking debate. Wellcome is not just a supporter of great ideas; it's a great place to work. We offer an attractive salary and excellent benefit package and help our employees to develop in an open, respectful culture where differences are valued.
We value talented people from diverse backgrounds who help to make our vision a reality.
In case of interest please contact Miss R Stedman (E-mail email@example.com) under the reference Wellcome Trust– Lead with your complete application (CV, motivation letter). Your application, including CV, should be in English and you must demonstrate your right to work in Germany.
We look forward to receiving your application.