We are looking for a Project Manager Advocacy (m/f/d) in Butuan, Caraga Region, Mindanao (Philippines) with domestic travel, starting from June 1, 2020
Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst e.V. (forumZFD, Forum Civil Peace Service) supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence.
forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as ten other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD also actively advocates civil peace policies.
forumZFD is recognised by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
The insurgency of the Communist Party of the Philippines – New People’s Army – National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDFP) is among the longest-running insurgencies in Asia. Following the People Power Revolution and restoration of formal democracy in 1986, each successive government engaged in peace talks with the CPP-NPA-NDFP – and each has failed to reach a peace agreement, though some progress has been made. During President Rodrigo Duterte’s term the negotiations have been on-and-off as well.
As Project Manager – Advocacy you will take the lead in developing and implementing forumZFD’s contribution to an advocacy strategy in support of the resumption of the formal peace talks between the Government of the Philippines (GRP) and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), through identifying entry points, networking with Philippine and international civil society, and engaging with key actors, particularly the Government of the Philippines.
This is a new project of forumZFD, the Project Manager – Advocacy will have a major influence on the design and direction it will take. You will report to, and work very closely with the Country Director, and coordinate with other team members, particularly the Project Manager in the Butuan City where the conflict between the GRP and the NDFP is the most intense in Mindanao, the Programme Officer, and the Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation (PM&E) Coordinator.
Your tasks in detail
• Design, with the supervision of the Country Director, the advocacy strategy to support the resumption and continuation of the GRP-NDFP peace talks
• Coordinate with team members within forumZFD to align possible activities with the advocacy strategy
• Network with Philippine and international civil society organisations and other impartial actors
• Support the expansion of a peace constituency in the Philippines, in particular through supporting the work of the Caraga project team of forumZFD
• Build and cultivate constructive relationships with key actors, particularly the Government of the Philippines
• Design and organise public and closed advocacy events and similar activities (e.g. workshops, trainings and training series, consultations, conferences/open fora/round tables, art exhibitions, etc.)
• Contribute to the national and international discourse on the peace process through written work, preparing public statements, attending conferences and other advocacy events
• Observe and analyse current regional and local conflict dynamics
• Implement internal planning, monitoring, and evaluation (PM&E) systems
• Reflect on and document experiences and “lessons learned” out of activities and projects, for internal documentation and evaluation
• Contribute to the fundraising and public relations activities of forumZFD
• Manage the project staff and the finances of the project
• Completed university degree (at least bachelor’s), e.g. Political Science, Peace and Conflict Studies, International Studies, Area Studies, Social Sciences
• Qualification as specialist in methods of nonviolent/civil conflict transformation (or similar knowledge)
• Extensive knowledge of the Philippines, in particular its social, political, and economic history, and present conditions
• Familiarity with the communist insurgency in the Philippines including the peace process
• Knowledge of other peace processes in intra-state armed conflicts
• Experience in impact-oriented project planning, monitoring and evaluation
• Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, ability to work in teams and intercultural sensitivity for working on highly sensitive issues with tact
• Ability to cope with ambiguity and the psychological strains of living in a conflict-affected area, isolation, and under pressure in a complex, politically volatile environment
• Several years of international experience in development cooperation and/or peace-building abroad (desirably in the Philippines or in another country in Southeast Asia, or in a country with a similar profile to the Philippines)
• Willingness to travel frequently and adjust to flexible working hours (weekends, workload peaks)
• Fluency in English (project language) both spoken and written, willingness to learn a new language
• Knowledge of Tagalog and/or Bisaya is a distinct advantage
• Sound knowledge of common computer applications and social media, knowledge of Open Office applications desirable
• EU citizenship is required for this position
Willingness to travel partly through areas in which safety rules have to be observed due to security risks, is expected.
As a Project Manager working for forumZFD, you will have the opportunity to apply your technical and management skills within this innovative, dynamic, and inspiring field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding in the Philippines.
We offer an attractive position with responsibilities for a minimum of two years in a growing organization. Ideally, you are available to start working on 1st of June 2020 (preparation courses, followed by at least two years’ work within the project with the option of extension).
As the position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG), it is restricted to citizens of the EU. The position is remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, regular coaching and, where appropriate, participation in a language course.
Please apply online at https://www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs (letter of motivation and CV) latest by March 22th 2020.
An assessment centre as part of the selection process is planned to take place from 15th to 17th of April, 2020 in Cologne (Germany). Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for assessment centre. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Lara Lang at email@example.com.
Please find further information about our organization and our assignments online at www.forumZFD.de
This job advertisement as well as further employment postings can be viewed at www.forumZFD.de/jobs
We look forward to receiving your application!